World Rhino Day
- 2013 World Rhino Day poster.
- Speech: Minister Edna Molewa’s speech at the World Rhino Day parade.
- Media statement: Minister Edna Molewa welcomes youth commitment to the fight against rhino poaching.
- Gallery: World Rhino Day March
World Rhino Day is an initiative that brings NGOs, zoos, rhino sanctuaries, and concerned citizens across the globe together to raise awareness and funds for the five species of rhinoceros — all of which are under threat from the illegal rhino horn trade. World Rhino Day was initiated by WWF in 2010 and has since become a global phenomenon.
The theme of this year’s World Rhino Day is Five Rhino Species Forever.
The international theme is clarion call that we, as the custodians, of the last five remaining species of rhino in the world, ensure their future survival.
The Minister again assured South Africans that the Government will not allow rhino to become extinct on our watch. The Government, working with our partners in the Justice and Security Cluster, SANParks and other private entities are working hard to meet the continuous challenges being presented in dealing with the poaching crisis.
“The spate of rhino poaching has strengthened the Government’s resolve and determination to work tirelessly to address the plague.”
- Government calls on all South Africans to assist in the fight against rhino poaching
- World Rhino Day 2012 success stories
[back to top]