Memorandum of agreement between the Department of Environmental Affairs, South African National Parks (SANParks) and Coal of Africa Africa to ensure integrity of the Mapungubwe World Heritage Site
The goal of this MoA is to comply with the relevant provisions of the NEMA section 24G environmental authorisation that was issued on 05 July 2011. The purpose of this MoA is to ensure the integrity of Mapungubwe Cultural Landscape World Heritage Sitethrough comprehensive biodiversity offsets programmes thereby optimising benefits to local communities.
To attain the goal of this MoA, the Parties agree to:
- promote alliances in the management of natural and cultural resources
- ensure compliance with the provisions of this MoA as well as with the requirements of other applicable legislation through monitoring and evaluation
- encourage social, economic and other partnerships among Stakeholders
- promote integrated planning, research, education, awareness and capacity building
- collaborate in formulating detailed biodiversity offsets programmes and implementation plans; and
- provide adequate financial, human and other resources for the effective implementation of the MoA.
- Bilateral agreement signed by all parties [PDF - 1.54 mb]