“Driving Force for Change” pilot youth support initiative
President Ramaphosa challenged the youth of South Africa to craft and design programmes that will make the country reach its developmental goals and address the unemployment crisis. The youth, as we have recognized throughout history have been at the forefront of fighting for justice and equality as they do today for a future free from the scourge of climate change. They are also filled with a tremendous amount of fresh, innovative, transformative and paradigm shifting ideas.
One of the challenges identified that the youth face is obtaining the necessary support to translate these ideas into proposals that could be presented for financial support to make them happen. Recognising this challenge the Department Environment, Forestry and Fisheries has developed a dedicated pilot support initiative for the youth and youth led organisations. Through the pilot initiative, the department will be providing project preparation development support equivalent to ZAR 1 million to successful applicants.
Youth and youth-led organisations will have the opportunity to apply for such funding and each successful applicant is eligible for financial support of up to ZAR 100 000 per project in areas of climate change, waste and biodiversity, with the view to contributing to achieving our nationally determined contributions (NDC) and the sustainable development goals (SDGs).
Through this pilot initiative we hope to provide the support to enable the youth to becoming that "Driving Force for Change" and develop and lead environmental initiatives that puts us on the path of a low carbon and climate resilient development pathway.
The following represents the results areas that would qualify for the support:
- Climate Change
- Strengthen resilience and adaptive capacity
- Reduce and/or avoided greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
- Reduce waste generation through prevention, reduction, recycling and reuse.
- Biodiversity and Ecosystems
- Equitable benefit and sustainable use, conservation, management of species and ecosystems and restoration of degraded ecosystems.
The following represents applicants and the type of activities that will be eligible for support:
- People: Youth organisation; youth-led organisations; and organisations undertaking youth climate, waste, biodiversity, forestry and fisheries related implementation.
- Stakeholder engagement and consultation.
- Prefeasibility studies.
- Feasibility studies.
- Project structuring.
- Identification of full project financing.
- All eligible applicants will apply by submitting an application as per the application template with supporting documentation by the deadline to the Department Environment, Forestry and Fisheries.
- Applications will be open from 1 July 2020 and close on 31 August 2020.
- Kindly note that all applications must be accompanied by the following set of supporting documents:
- Profile of business and business owner/partner or owners/partners.
- Certified copy of identity document of business owner/partner or owners/partners
- Letter of support from the bank confirming banking details of the business
- Proof of physical address of the business
- Additional supporting information may be requested during the pre-screening process.
- All applications will be screened to see if they meet the eligibility criteria.
- All qualifying applications will be evaluated by a panel to be established by the Department Environment, Forestry and Fisheries.
- The successful applicants for the support will be announced by the Minister of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries in November 2020.
The following represents the criteria by which proposals will be evaluated:
- The environmental impacts of the intervention: e.g. Indicative CO2 emissions reduced or avoided; total number of direct or indirect beneficiaries; waste minimized, avoided or reduced; biodiversity conserved.
- The economic impacts of the intervention: e.g. youth employment opportunities created; new economic opportunities, economic innovation, etc.
- The social impacts of the intervention.
- The potential for innovation, transformation and paradigm shift.
- The soundness of the implementation and financial plan.
- The potential for replicability and scalability.
- The potential to catalyse or leverage financial resources.
- The sustainability of the project.
In order to cmplete the application, two formats of the form have been provided, MsWord 97-2003 compatibility mode and an Acrobat PDF editable form. Please choose a format that is supported by or is comaptible with your computer software applications.
- Application form [MSWord (97-2003.doc - comapatibility mode) 677.5 kb]
- Application form [PDF 621.74 kb]
- Driving Force for Change pilot youth support initaitve call for applications [PDF - 278.68 kb]
- Frequently asked questions (FAQs) [PDF - 404 kb]
Interested parties can send their application forms using either one of the following methods:
Department of Environmental Affairs
Private Bag X447
For further information on the initiative kindly contact:
Dr Jenitha Badul, Senior Policy Advisor
E-mail : email@example.com